Saturday, November 8, 2014

Response from the Governor's office.

This week I received a letter from the Governor's office.  They told me they were sorry about what had happened and would be looking into it.  Yesterday I received a phone call from the head of the department we have been applying to.  He was a very kind gentleman.  He expressed his sympathy and admitted he didn't know what we were going through.  He then told me that the 30 day nursing home stay was a Federal law, not a state of TX law.  I was shocked by that! As we went on to discuss things, he informed me that TX follows federal laws to the T but they do nothing more than that.  They do what they have to do and no more.  He also informed me that he will be looking into other avenues for us on Monday.  There is a "buy in" medicaid program we might be eligable for.  We will see.  It's basically a second insurance.  I told him, it's not the medical bills that are the problem.  We have really great insurance.  The problem is the equipment he needs that costs thousands upon thousands of dollars.  In insurance world it is considered "durable medical equipment" and they will not pay a penny of it.
Justin has had his stroller since he was 2 years old.  He is quickly outgrowing it.  We have adjusted it about as far as it can go.  If we had stayed in VA we would have already requested to get the ball rolling for a new stroller.  Now that we are here, we don't know what to do.  Justin's last stroller was an $8,000 stroller.  Now that he needs a larger one the bill only goes up too.  We can expect his next stroller to cost around 12,000.  I don't know many people with that kind of money sitting around, we certainly do not!
The bottom line is, the wait list is 6 years and there isn't much they can do about it.  I can go to my legislators and try to convince them to put more money into the program.  I can put my son in a nursing home for 30 days (not gonna happen) or I can pray and wait on the Lord.  I do not know what God has in store.  I do know that I am at peace.  That I will continue to call people and fight for my son.  I do know that God is in control and he knows what is going to happen.  I need to trust him, as hard as that is right now.  I need to just trust him.
In the mean time, I have gotten JT on the wretched 6 year wait list.  I have applied for assistance from an organization here that helps you fight this battle.  I have also contacted our lawyer back in VA to see where JT's case is.  Please pray for me to trust, more than I want to.  Pray that I can see where I should be focused and on what I can or should be doing.  Pray, please pray this fund comes through for JT.
I am glad I wrote the Governor's office.  I am thankful they heard me and took me seriously.  I am thankful that the man who called me to explain things to me had a kind heart.  I am thankful for those who are going above their job description to help us.  I am thankful for you and your prayers.

No comments: