Monday, June 6, 2011

Answers aren't always answers are they?

Today was yet another eye exam for JT. We are in the midst of considering changing Ophthalmologists. We do not care for the Dr. we have been seeing at Children's. He is cold and non communicative which doesn't really work for me. I have been trying to tell myself it isn't about me or the way I feel it's about JT and his care. This Dr. is a good Dr. but his lack of communication and warm fuzzies leave something to be desired. He is usually very short with his time and answers which as a mom makes it hard to trust him with one of my most blessed treasures! I told a friend the other day that I need him to care about my child! I need to know that my child matters and that he isn't just a "case".
So today we sought out another very well known and respected Dr. in the field. He was wonderful. He spoke with us, gave us answers and advice. He also told us that sticking with the Dr. we have is a good choice (although he too is a good choice and would be happy to have JT as a patient). He agreed with what we have been understanding from the previous Dr. and said he would do it the same way. The problem is he is SO FAR AWAY and I would have to sit in hrs. of traffic every 3mos to see him :-p
The other problem is he didn't give me the answers I was hoping for. I wanted a clear cut answer. Tell me what to do for my son and I will do it! But that isn't what happened. He told us that JT is unique. That we don't know what he sees and we won't for a time, until he can tell us. He said JT will in fact need surgery but not until his brain and eyes determine how they are going to work together. (when that is no one knows!) Although I am so grateful for this Dr., for his time and answers it's hard to sit here and not have any more clarity on the situation than I had before. I was so hopeful that this would be the answer. That we would FINALLY know what to do! But, no. God has a different plan! I guess I am still learning the "P" word - you know patience (said in a whisper. I don't pray for patience... it's too hard lol). So I sit, thankful for God's provision, blessings, comfort and lessons to be learned. I also sit prayerful. Prayerful for answers and for healing. Prayerful for my sons future.

No comments: