Sunday, September 29, 2013

Meeting Logan and Dylan

After I spent 3 days recovering in the hospital I was itching to get out and see all 5 of my boys.  When I was discharged I headed to the NICU to see the boys.  I still couldn't really see their faces because of the equipment, wires, sunglasses for the lights... things like that.  But I held their hands and got to talk to them a little.  Oh, I forgot to say, Logan weighed 2lbs and Dylan weighed 1lb 15oz.  As of today they are both around 1lb.
I have thankfully been to the NICU every day I have been out of the hospital.  We have so much to be thankful for.  Dylan is doing so very well! His brain scan came back negative (clean), the blood transfusion he had seemed to help him a great deal.  He is on a continuous feed (a tube into his stomach) He looks great too.  Still on O2 and CPAP but really low settings.  All gifts.
Logan is having a little bit of a harder time. I will say that his brain scan also came back negative!  Praying both boys get a clean scan again in another week.  Logan's platelets are low which means there could possibly be a bleed somewhere in his body.  I am asking for prayers against that!  His skin is dry and very sensitive. He has lost more weight than Dylan, is still on the lights, antibiotics... He's just struggling a bit more. The nurses are telling us he is about a day behind Dylan.  I am praying that is the case.

The boys are both in such great care.  For 26 weeks they are doing well.  It's always a bit of a roller coaster.  You think they have made it past something and then you go back and they are back on.  It happens and we are prepared for it.  Doesn't make it any less sad when they are on machines they were off of but the care is amazing and we are thankful for that.

A little side story:  A year ago Jake and I were talking seriously about moving to GA.  He could go and stay with his company and we could afford to live.  The Lord kept us here in every way.  He opened doors we never could have imagined.  We are in a house with very few stairs vs a townhouse with a ton of stairs.  We are paying less in rent, Ethan and JT are both in fabulous schools with incredible teachers and the greatest gift of all, our church!  Our church has once again surrounded us, is caring for us in ways we never would have ever thought of.  They are providing meals daily, rides to the NICU once Jake goes back to work, extra help around the house daily, organizing people to help us with yard work and grocery shopping.  If we had moved to GA we would have been all alone.  God kept us here b/c He knew what we would need.  I am always slightly ashamed at myself when I get upset at God for not giving me what I want and then find out why.  He wanted to take care of us!  He wanted to be there for us and to make sure we had his arms wrapped around us.  We do.  We do because he closed and opened and closed doors to keep us here.  Keep us with our church family.  And they are family!
So all praise and glory goes to God.  I don't know why the twins had to come early.  I wish they had stayed longer.  I wish they were safe inside me, but God has plans.  And when He clearly knows what he's doing I will do my best to step aside and wait.  I will do my best to be more than okay with the way things go.  I will do my best to praise Him in the storm.

PS - side note, my thyroid surgery has been moved up to November 7th so that I can recover and be home and healed when the twins get discharged.  So, once we are all home from the hospital I hope it stays that way... FOREVER! ;-)


1 comment:

Jen Miller said...

Melissa,
Your strength and faith both inspire and amaze me. I can't even pretend to know how I would react in a situation like yours but I can only hope that I would handle it with your grace and composure.
It makes me so happy to hear that your church family is supporting your family so much. I got teary eyed reading that they are helping with everything, even the yard and grocery shopping. Wow! You are blessed.
Rob and I are thinking about your family and praying for the best. We can't wait to see more pictures of Logan and Dylan as well as your other three cuties.
Sincerely,
Jen Miller