Sunday, September 29, 2013

The beginning

Having not updated since the boys have been born I decided to answer the question I get most, "what happened?"
Monday morning we woke up around 7am, got up felt fine, began breakfast for the boys.  E wasn't going to sick that day because he was sick Sunday night and JT had hippo therapy about an hour away.  I had decided to take all three boys to the barns so JT could ride.  Around 8am I started to just not feel so good.  It wasn't contractions like my other 3, it didn't feel like contractions at all!  I just didn't feel good.  So Jake loaded the boys in the car and when Janet (Jt's aid) joined us she and I talked and she said to stay home.  So, Jake unloaded the boys and headed to work and I headed down to the basement to lay down and drink some water.  Then it hit... it was contractions and they got bad fast! I called Jake and told him to come home immediately.  Due to our wonderful city and rush hour it took him about 45 min to get home.  We went straight to the hospital.  The contractions were faster and harder but I thought, "We are going early, I am on top of this, we are going to go and stop them and I am going to be on strict bed rest either at the hospital or at home, but it's going to stop."  We got to the hospital, the doctor checked me and I was fully dilated! She said she would check the positions of the babies and we would go from there but they were coming today.  I started crying, balling really.  NO!  This can't happen again!  I can't do this again!  I was devastated, angry at God, scared, sad.... Then the doctor says we are going for an emergency C section.  The crying was even harder then.  Everyone was trying to calm me down while call all of the staff needed to get me into surgery as quickly as possible.  I have to say the doctors and staff at the hospital were great.  Comforting and in control.  I felt safe, a feeling I didn't really have when I delivered JT.  They had Jake come in just before the doctor opened me up.
As I lay on the table I could hear the doctors talking, not to me, to each other, like I wasn't even there.  It was strange.  I could hear them saying the boys were wrapped around each other.  I even heard the doctor say she had never seen anything like this before.  Usually babies get wrapped up in each other like this when they share a sack, mine were in different sacks.  She had a few struggles getting them out because of how they were intertwined.  But out they came.  Jake stood up to see the boys across the room, lovingly asked if I wanted a picture of my insides.... ummmm, no thanks, I'll pass.  ;-) I got to see the boys as they wheeled them out past me.
Now to back track a little.  The entire time I was under anesthesia I had terrible reactions.  I went from needing to vomit (while they were taking the babies), to light headed enough to pass out, to vomit... it went on and on.  Worst part was I couldn't move to vomit.  I had to lay on my back and turn my head and try to get it out that way.  I went to recovery where I continued that pattern for the next 9 hours I think. I threw up violently for a few minutes and then would try to rest and fall asleep hoping it would pass.  It never passed.  I was light headed the entire time too.  My blood pressure was a mess, I was a mess!   The last two hours I spent mostly nauseous with a little vomit.
The transfer teams brought the boys into my recovery room before they transferred them to another hospital.  I sat up to see Logan, touched his sweet hand and then began tossing my cookies so terribly I asked them to just take him.  When they brought Dylan in I was so sick I couldn't even see him.  I tried to stop throwing up and sit up to see him but I just couldn't.  It broke my heart.  I didn't even really get to see his face.
After the boys left I was moved to my room.  Jake had headed home to help get the boys fed and to bed.  I had a few family visitors that night and Jake came back to stay with me on those oh so comfortable pull out chair beds... he's such a trooper.  And that my friends is the beginning!

No comments: