Tuesday, January 20, 2015

How did we become so flawed?

I just had a very nice meeting with one of the organizations here in TX who is actually trying to help us.  They are helping us find and apply for other grants, funds, and so on.  In talking with our case worker I became so sad and frustrated.  Not with her, but with our society.  America was founded on God, like it or not. Our founding fathers had a faith in God and our country was based on that faith.  How have we as a nation strayed so far from God?  In speaking with our case worker, she mentioned how hard it is for the case workers to watch families like ours be denied every kind of service because Jake makes too much money.  A family whose child needs the equipment and help.  She mentioned how hard it was to watch families who have children with minor disabilities qualify quickly for government assistance while those of us who have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year are punished because my husband works hard and has a good job.  She then told me that she knows of several families who separate, legally separate just so they can qualify! I was stunned.  The divorce rate for families who have a child with special needs is somewhere in the 80th percentile! Why is the government pushing families to divorce? Why are they pushing me to leave my family, my husband for a minimum of 30 days, to place my child in a nursing home, stay with him and not see my family for 30 days? Why isn't the government rewarding families who fight to stay together.  Families who aren't lying and saying they can't care for their child to get ahead.  Families who's needs are greater! I am in awe.  I am sad, I am even a little bit angry.  I am also grateful to all who have contributed to our go fund me account.  These contributions are allowing us to by JT's neurological medication, some of his equipment and or procedures.  But why isn't the government doing more to help.

I guess that is my soap box for the day.  Feeling thankful and hopeful for the help we are receiving, praying for more to come. JT's needs are great and they are great financially.  The Lord will provide! I believe that.  Our government may not, but the Lord will!

No comments: