Monday, March 2, 2015

Sam

Sam, Sam is a young man who we met through Justin's physical therapist.  Kathy, JT's therapist, kept telling me about Sam.  She would tell me how well Sam is doing, how Sam is so much like JT.  Sam has had the same struggles as JT and so on.  Finally, one day, we met Sam.  Sam is a bright and witty 14 year old.  He uses crutches to walk, or a wheel chair to get around.  The first time we met Sam he sat down with Justin to tell him to be strong, and never give up.  Since our first meeting, we have bumped into Sam a few times at PT.  Recently, we happened to walk in on one of his sessions, Sam was standing up working on his backhand! Yes, he was playing tennis! I wanted to cry.  We all stood there and cheered for Sam.  It was good therapy for Justin too, because as he watched Sam and cheered for him, Justin held his head up in midline.  Sam is inspiring!
Last night we had the joy of having Sam and his family over for dinner.  Sam has two little sisters who are full of energy.  To say our house was a full house last night is an understatement! It was AWESOME! The kids were loud and had a great time.  Sam's parents, Wade and Jennifer are also truly inspiring.  They are so encouraging, wise, and full of insight.  They push Sam in the same ways we push JT.  Why? Because we have been gifted with smart, funny, kind boys.  So, we push them, because they can be pushed. We talked about how sometimes we push them too far, we expect too much.  In that, we are just parents doing our best, wanting so much for our boys.  We too are flawed in so many ways.  But, we don't give up on them and they don't give up either.
I am rambling, I know, but I just can't help it.  I will end with this, at the end of the night Sam got on the floor and was crawling around playing with all the kids.  JT was in his chair at a table.  Sam came to me and asked if Justin could get on the floor so they could crawl around together.  I said sure and went over to get JT out.  Justin still cannot crawl but he can move himself around.  Sam was on the floor telling JT to roll over, another task that is VERY difficult for Justin.  Sam said "here, I will show you" The two of them worked together, laughed and then JT did it! He rolled over! Sam was so excited for him.  Then out of no where, JT started crawling! I needed to help him a little but Justin did it, he did it all on his own.  Then Sam said "Justin, when I see you on Friday, I want to see you roll."  Then his mom said "make him a bet"  Sam said "Justin, if you roll on Friday, I will spend the night at your house."  I cracked up!  His mom said "I meant something like a candy bar or something like that."
Today is a new day with new strides and challenges.  Today JT woke up, we are trying some new breakfast ideas (thanks to Wade and Jennifer for the great ideas)  for JT so he can eat more calories, an enormous challenge for kids with CP.  After breakfast I told JT it was time to get some work done.  Justin asked if he could practice rolling so he could roll for Sam on Friday.  So, I put him down, he asked for my help and I told him he had to figure it out.  Then, off he went.  He rolled over about 5 or 6 times.  I know it might now sound like much, but for Justin this is incredible and incredibly exhausting.  He was so proud of himself and I am so proud of him.
Being in Texas has been a challenge for so many reasons.  But then, I look at Sam and his awesome family and I am so thankful we are here.  We have known few people with children with disabilities like JT.  Those we do know, the children are Justin's age and not as physically disabled.  So please make no mistake, meeting Sam and his family is a true gift from God.  They have so much to share and we are so thankful that they are willing to share with us.
I can only hope and pray that JT and our family can help inspire and guide a family in the future.  We are truly blessed.  (I think it's the first time I am thankful, truly thankful we are here.)

No comments: