Thursday, August 21, 2014

Surprises of Texas

We have been in San Antonio about a week now and I can say that I have found several things surprising.  They are silly things but I thought it would be fun to share our findings.
1 - Things really are bigger in Tx.  It's not just a saying, everything here is ridiculously huge, especially the grocery store!
2 - There is no such thing as scenic driving.  You are either in a neighborhood or on a highway.  I think it'll take me a while to get use to that.  To help my MOCO family and friends relate, it's like driving on rockville pike everywhere you go at 70 miles an hour!
3 - People actually drive slower than the speed limit here.
4 - There are very few southern or country accents.
5 - The trees! okay, so not that they have trees, but E and I find it funny that their "pine trees" are like pencils.  Ethan's response to our giggle today was "well, different states, different vegetation. Right mommy?"  (this kid!)
6 - The weather.  Sounds crazy, yes it's hot and to those who said it wasn't humid I will simply call you LIARS! The mornings are gloomy, it always looks like rain, but nope, little to no rain at all.  Today was 107 but there was a huge "breeze" if that's what you can call it so it wasn't too terrible.  ( I CANNOT believe I just said that, not to terrible at 107!)
7 - The school sizes! The buildings look big but the classrooms and class sizes are tiny! (I am comparing then to FCPS) I think E has about 15 - 20 kids in his classroom but the room size is tiny.  Room for desks and a morning meeting, that's about it.

I guess that's it for now.  As for the family update, we are doing well.  Still staying/living with friends who promise us they will still be our friends even after we leave! We have been with them a week and the kids are all going bonkers... so are Christina and I! No, they are great, gracious, kind, helpful, and haven't made us feel badly even once for staying so long.  They are a true blessing to us and to our boys.
We did get good news today, the owners have agreed to let us rent.  Now if we can get in this weekend before school starts that would be fabulous!  Sadly, it doesn't look like JT will be able to start school on time.  They require an "ARD" meeting.  Basically a pre IEP meeting before they will allow him to begin.  The teacher told me today I should hear from someone tomorrow in regards to the ARD and starting school.
Jake is enjoying work, getting to know the building a little better each day.  Tomorrow we are going to go and have lunch with him and hope to have the boys go down the slide. Should be a fun day! As for me, I am just trying to keep my head above water while I get the boys started in school, find doctors, take boys to doctors appointments....
I have had my moments of sadness, missing people mostly.  This week JT was listening, singing, and dancing to his special song that he and his dearly loved PT Jill sang.  I just started crying, remembering the joy she brought him.  He would do anything for her, he worked so hard and loved doing it.  I can only hope and pray we can find someone as awesome to fill her shoes!

Prayers: keep Logan in your prayers.  He has had some respiratory issues since before we left.  We just can't seem to get it to stop for more than 1 day.  If it's still going on on M. I will take him to the doctor.  As for me, fairly certain I have just battled 6 days of strep with no meds.  It didn't occur to me until yesterday that that's probably what I have but with all the chaos, not knowing where I am and not having a doctor I just fought through it.  So you can pray for me and my health :-D
Lastly, pray for Ethan.  He is having the toughest time being here.  He is not excited about school.  He was very "shy" today while meeting his teacher. I have never seen him like this before.  I know part of it was an act, but I am sure that part of it was really how he is feeling.  Pray he finds a good buddy on the first day of school.  Everyone knew the boys because "we are the family that just moved here from Virginia."

Thanks for the prayers.  The Lord really is with us.  It is going to take me a while to adjust, I am fully aware of that, it's tough but it's good.  I think things will get a little better once we get settled in our house.

No comments: