Thursday, October 6, 2016

Hospital life

JT and I have now been living in the hospital for over a month.  It's funny,  I was talking to another mom whose daughter has fully decorated her room! She has been here about 4 days longer than JT.  We looked at each other and I said, "when you first arrive and they tell you to make the room your own, decorate, bring pictures... you think, I am not going to be here that long. Then as the weeks go by you begin hanging the art work and the cards and the drawings.  You realize, you are going to be here and it's much nicer when you make it your own."  We are now decorating his room, his door, hanging all of the cards and pictures he receives, because we have been here and are going to be here for at least 1-2 more weeks if not longer.
As a parent I have learned so much being here.  There are about 7 kids who have been here as long as we have if not longer.  The rest of the rooms come and go.  We are already on our 5th neighbor.
The lives of these children have been altered for good or for hardship.
One girl on the floor had some funny feelings in her legs one day and the next day she woke up and couldn't move.
Another patient was in a work accident and is learning to walk again. Another high school boy is learning to deal with being paralyzed from the waist down.  There are a few special needs kiddos on the floor who are like JT, having surgeries and therapy to help them take steps in a direction they have never gone before.
I have also learned how thankful I am for Jake and for his company! I do not know what we would do if Jake couldn't work from home! There are far too many children here who are lucky to get a visitor every so often.  3 out of the 7 regulars have a parent living here at the hospital, the other 4 have people either in and out or not here at all.  It breaks my heart!

It is SO hard to be away from my other boys and from Jake during this time but I am SO blessed to be able to do it!

So, how is JT?? He is AMAZING! For those of you who aren't on Facebook, JT walked for the first time EVER unassisted on Monday.  The Doctors and therapists asked me if he could do that before the surgery, in short, no! He has NEVER been able to even stand on his own unassisted.  Now, he can stand for about a min maybe a little longer and is able to walk about 5-7 feet before he is too tired to continue.  I am tearing as I write this.  This miracle is years of hoping, dreaming, wondering, wishing, praying, doubting and so much more.
JT is also in school here and is doing remarkable.  He is reading, doing addition into the teen numbers and so much more.  To have him in an environment where EVERYONE believes in him... it is such an incredible gift! Sadly, the school he is in is overcrowded and the teachers are busy dealing with the other children to give him the chance to do the work or to answer the question.  Here he is thriving! It's so exciting to see and I hope and pray it continues.  I am overjoyed at the care, treatment and therapies he is receiving.

Being here has been incredible and has simply shown me that my faith in my son is valid.  That HE CAN DO so much more than people think he can! He has a major fan club and I am pretty sure he is going to be very angry when we leave here.  He loves to work hard and he has never had so many people pushing him to be better and believing in him as he does here.  I mean, Jake and I do, but let's face it, we are mom and dad and one day our opinion isn't going to mean as much.  But to have cheerleaders all day every day, it's incredible! The kids even come out of their rooms to encourage each other, they work together in therapy. One little girl, the one who woke up with no feelings in her legs said to me "if JT stands up, I will too!" They inspire each other, they love each other and although leaving here will be a joyous day, it will be also be hard.  They have learned to lean on each other and rely on each other and push each other.  Being here is a remarkable gift in so many ways.

I hope to keep you all more updated here, it seems that I use Facebook more and more to reach the masses, but you all have followed him from the beginning.  You know his story, his life, you know what this means.  Thank you for faithfully praying for him, you are so much of why we are here too.

Blessings to you!
The first time JT ever stood on his own unsupported! 10/3/16

Little lunch date

Celebrating the twins Birthday with a Birthday party in JT's room

Hanging with my little super hero


No comments: