Monday, October 10, 2016

Running on Empty

This morning I was feeling a little frantic.  We are now well into our 5th week here at the hospital and prayerfully our last.  I found myself nervous about leaving.  I think in part I don't want to get my hopes up. We had our hopes up last week and the "1-2 more weeks" was a bit of a sucker punch.  Part of it is also the adjustment back into reality as well. Part of it is also my business.  I have tried to keep up and keep moving forward in my business while here but let's face it, any time you are out of routine and you have to adjust to a new way of getting things done it's a struggle.  

So, here I was this morning, overwhelmed, scared, frantic even over this week.  I stopped to pray and asked God to see me through.  I asked God, "what do I need to do?"  He said "stop and be with me" I said "how, I want to but I have so much to do." He said "stop, spend time with me."  I sat there for a moment and stared at my devotional debating.  Finally I said "yes".  Man, am I glad I did.  It always strikes me when a devotional is exactly what I need.  today, it was exactly where I was! 

The devotional was from a frantic busy mom running from place to place just running, a mom running on empty.  Sound familiar?!? It does to me.  That's often how I feel.  Here a little, but more so at home.  Life never seems to slow down and I am always running on fumes.  
Anyway she went on to say how she was running, staring at her to do list and hear the Lord say "Stop and be with me".  She, like me, stopped, debated, and finally gave in and said yes. 

She shared Philippians 4:6-7 " Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  
She summed it up as 'Tell God what you need..." 

She then began to tell God she needed peace, more time, and wisdom in how to use her time wisely.  Then it hit her, Jesus IS peace. God is the author of time and God IS wisdom.  She said "God, what I need is more of you!" 
Later she went on to say "But the truth I've found is this: The peace God gives is greater than any peace a checked box on my to do list could ever do."

Lastly what struck me with such hope and joy she said "Jesus is waiting on us to unload our cares on Him, so that he can dump His truckload of peace and wisdom on us in return."  I am in awe of that!  I get to unload all of my crap and in return walk away at peace and with wisdom.  Today, I did just that.  I went to him frantic, nervous, lacking hope and walked away full of peace, hope and wisdom, the wisdom to seek God, listen and accept the gift of peace. 

Trust him today, the laundry will never end, the dishes can wait, stop, sit, unload and receive. Give it a try today.  To me it's like my workout - I may not always want to do it, but I NEVER regret it when I am done.  It's the same with the Lord. I may not always want to stop and spend time with Jesus, but I NEVER regret it when I am done.  

No comments: