Thursday, December 5, 2013

A momma knows

On Sunday when I went home with Logan Dylan had a very rough night.  An emergency x-ray was ordered and all of his feeds were stopped!  He had some respiratory issues and they were trying to figure out what was going on.  When I went in on Monday my goal was to learn to nurse both boys at the same time.  The nurses were a little hesitant because Dylan had been refusing all bottles since we left.  Logan and Dylan nursed like champs! Even Logan doesn't nurse as well at home without his brother.  It was crazy!  So I made it my goal to go back 2x a day to nurse them both.  Dylan was nursing so well but refusing bottles.  It got so bad at one point he was coughing and choking on the milk.  I mentioned to the nurse that Logan hated the formula he was sent home on and that he was refluxing, gagging and choking on it.  I then asked if we could just try one feeding from a bottle with just my breast milk to see if it was the bottle or the formula.   Momma knows!! It was the formula! Since the nurse spoke with the hesitant doctors Dylan has taken every single feed for almost 24 hours with no trouble at all!  I am so thankful that the nurse didn't write me off.  She heard me and took my request to the doctors.  I am thankful the doctors heard the nurse out and even more than all that, I am thankful it worked! I am not sure what the plan is going forward.  NICU has a thing about formula... they love it.  But Dylan has showed them that he can eat and does eat, just not nasty smelly formula :-) So for now we will wait and see what the next step is.  Will they wait and see what his weight does on just my milk? Will they try yet another formula? (remember the formula is what gave his kidney problems before) We will see, but for now, YAHOO!! Dylan is a super star and as I have always said, he is my firecracker! He will never let anyone push him around.  He has always let you know what he wants and what he doesn't want in a very loud voice.  Logan is more chill and laid back, Dylan doesn't take it from anybody, not even NICU doctors and nurses :-)
(Please know that I LOVE the NICU nurses and doctors we have encountered.  This is nothing against them at all.  I couldn't be more thankful for them.  They are gifted and they care for my babies when I can't.  I am simply saying that Dylan is not by the book.  It's more against him than them. haha)

No comments: