Thursday, October 16, 2014

My health

I know many of you saw my posts on Facebook yesterday stating that it's time to lose weight or die.  From that I received several messages, texts... checking in on me.  First, thank you.  Second, I am not going to die tomorrow, but if I don't get my weight under control it is going to lead to more health problems.  So here is the deal.  Yesterday I saw a new endocrinologist.  I chose her because she specializes in me! What I mean is that her expertise is my thyroid issues exactly.  When we first met she was asking me questions that I had no idea how to answer.  She drew pictures to explain things to me, something that has never been done before.  She explained how my body works, in regards to my thyroid.  She was also very blunt and told me I must lose 40lbs ASAP.
What she told me was that my thyroid disease (not the cancer) is an autoimmune disorder.  It is a genetic thing.  She said they travel in pairs and if my white blood cells were attacking my thyroid then there is most likely another part of my body under attack too.  Question is, where? She also said that my medication is 2x what it should be.  Why?  I have no idea, it's never been mentioned to me.  I have never been told to lose weight (but let me state, I know that I need to.  I am not blind to that! Let me also state that although it's nice to hear you look good or you don't need to lose that much weight, I would rather hear encouraging words to help me reach my goal instead of feel good words.)
 She said that my weight could be causing my liver not to properly process my medication so my numbers are off.  The thing is, my doctor in DC never question that.  He just followed the numbers and upped the meds.  I felt like I was in good hands and trusted him. I still think he is a good doctor, I just wish I knew to ask more questions.  I have learned to advocate for my kids but not for myself yet.  I never ask enough questions.  When it comes to doctors I just sit and listen and trust.  Anyway, she also said that she believes I have Celiac disease.  So, as of today, I am on a gluten free and a sugar free diet for a minimum of 6 weeks, maybe longer.  When I say sugar free, I mean all sugar, even natural sugar.  So, no fruit, no honey in my tea, no coffee creamer in my coffee, which lets be real, no coffee.  I feel good about this.  It was time to lose the weight and to stop making excuses.  After E I lost all my baby weight.  After JT I had 3 knee surgeries, a miscarriage, then I had Caleb.  Then dealing with JT and his therapy, E was in school.... then I got pregnant with the twins, got diagnosed with cancer, had the twins, had the cancer removed and here I sit.  Although I feel they are slightly valid excuses, they are excuses non the less.  My field hockey coach in high school was a retired marine, his saying "Excuses are like assholes, everyone's got em and they all stink!"  And yes, those were his exact words.  Point is, he was right.  It's time to stop putting this painful diet aside and get to it.  So here I go.  Thank you for your prayers and support.  Remember, I am fine, I am just trying to get even better!!!

No comments: