Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Peace in the sadness

I am part of a mommy group on FB.  Today one of the ladies posted that she would appreciate prayers for her sister and her family.  Her sister had a premie and the scans of his brain came back abnormal.  Later in the day the mom of the premie (Laura) posted that her son has PVL.  Most of you might remember that JT's has PVL as well.  My heart sank for her.  It took Jake and I months to learn how to say periventricular Leukomalacia.  Now it simply rolls of our tongues.  PVL is a brain bleed.  The same brain bleed that lead to Justin's CP.  I prayed for Laura, that she would know the peace that passes understanding.  The peace that only God can bring in a time of confusion and sadness.  If you go back to one of my very first blogs you can read about JT's diagnosis and what I went through, but I will tell you know what I told you then, it's as clear as day to me.  Sitting there with the doctors, by myself because Jake had finally gone back to work.  I felt nothing but peace.  I wasn't anxious or sad.  I heard God say to me "It's going to be okay."  I didn't know what that meant, I hoped it meant that JT was going to show the world brain bleed or not he was going to be just fine! And in many ways he has.  Justin will be 5 next week.  As of right now he does not sit up, crawl, walk unassisted, or use the toilet or bathe himself.   However, Justin is one of the most amazing people I have ever come across and I am so blessed to call him my son! What a gift! What a blessing! My kid makes people smile on their worst days.  He makes people see that life isn't that bad.  He makes people laugh.  He loves people and is kind and thoughtful with his words.  He is incredible.  Knowing what a blessing my son is to me, my family and so many others, my heart still broke for this family.  There will be so many doctors appointments to go to.  Oh how I wish this didn't happen to others.  Our life is so hard, so challenging and so exhausting.  We don't get to do many of the things so many other families get to do.  There are weeks, months where I have so many doctors appointments I can hardly see straight.  The bills pile up faster than you can imagine and the stress of caring for a child with challenges is a lot.  Yet, In all of that there is this peace.  A peace that lets you know, it's okay.  Its going to be okay.  I am so thankful for that peace.  It brings me joy and it allows me to see all of who Justin is.  My prayers for Laura are the same as the prayers I pray for myself.  To know that peace daily but especially in the darkest hours.
If you have time pray for Laura and her husband, their child (first born, not sure if it's a boy or girl) and their son in the NICU.  Pray for their strength and peace.  Pray the PVL does now worsen in any way.  

No comments: