Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Morning update

Well, I wrote this once but then accidentally deleted it.  We will blame sleep deprivation. 

Doctor came in this morning.  She is seriously the best! I wouldn't want anyone else to work with.  A straight shooter, which I have truly come to appreciate in doctors.  I have found the best doctors are confident yet humble, straight shooters but with kindness and compassion and willing to stand and talk and answer all of your questions. She is all of the above! We are thankful for her.

This morning she thought JT might need a blood transfusion. She said if his levels were below 7 he would need a unit of blood.  We just got word his level is 5.1.  It's okay though, we have no fear in this. I have been in his shoes and I know how much a blood transfusion can turn things around. That is our prayer.  We are hoping and praying that the transfusion will be the flip of the coin he needs to get through this with more strength and less pain.

Sometime this morning they will do the blood transfusion, then begin the morphine drip.  Once that has a time to get going they will turn off the epidural.  An hour later they will remove the epidural. About 4 hours after that they will remove his catheter (we are all looking forward to that!). 
The doctor saw one of his muscle spasms this morning and decided to double his valium. She said if he is going to be knocked out on meds, this is the place to do it.  We can then back off and figure out the right dose. 

Jake and I are in good spirits. We have peace even as JT is moaning and whining in pain.  We know that we are blessed and we are so thankful that this is temporary.  Today as I was rubbing his head and catching his vomit I found myself thankful. I thought of my friends who have had to rub their childs head and catch their vomit knowing they were also saying goodbye.  I found myself longing to see JT again, his smile, his personality, his joy, the sparkle in his eye yet knowing I will again soon just brought immense peace. 

God is good, we are blessed.  We are uplifted and surrounded by prayers and we are in the arms of God our Father.

No comments: