Thursday, February 6, 2020

Up and down and all around

This journey reminds me so much of the NICU. Riding a rollercoaster in the dark. when you think it's going up it goes down, right is left and so on. The ups come and the downs to too.  Each step forward is followed by what feels like 3 steps backwards. Still, each day is better in small ways so we will focus on that.

Yesterday afternoon I left to head home for the night. C had a thing at school I really wanted to go to for him. Jake stayed the night last night.  He said JT slept through the night!
I am a little jealous since I had about 6 hours sleep in 2 days but I am more thankful than jealous.

Last night they removed his epidural and today they stopped the morphine drip.  He is still on some pretty heavy pain meds but all in all, he is doing better!  This morning, while I was at school Jake sent me a video of JT singing in his microphone! WHOOHOOOOOO!

When I arrived today JT was sweating.  His fever spiked this morning to 100.4.  They originally thought it might be croup but now they think his lungs are just not recovering and are struggling.  What do we do for that?! BUBBLES! JT has to blow bubbles every hour.  What a fun way to help your lungs regain strength.  He even chose to show me how he was doing, it was pretty awesome.

He is still complaining that his hip hurts, but when you have gone from screaming in agony to moaning to just complaining about it... we are on the right track.

He had a blood transfusion yesterday but I am guessing they will do another one sometime tomorrow.  He is already looking more pale than he did this morning.

His doctor came in this morning.  She told Jake that if we can't manage the pain with meds today (no epidural, no morphine drip) than he might need a spica cast.  Sadly, that will mean another procedure, more anesthesia, most likely more vomiting and about 30lbs of added weight for us to maneuver.
We are hoping that he doesn't need one.

For now his pain seems to be under control. His appetite is slow to return, but that is normal too.
Pray that the medications continue to keep him comfortable.  Pray that we are able to be discharged on Friday. I don't want to rush him out of here by any means, but I also don't want to stay one moment longer than we have to.

No comments: