Monday, November 25, 2013

asking questions

We all have challenges in life and they are all different.  Jake and I have a friend who's husband is ill.  She is scared and doesn't understand the doctors.  I encouraged her to ask questions and not to be shy.  A lesson I am still learning but it's coming easier as the years and medical crisis continue in our lives.
Jake thinks I can be a worry wart.  I ask A LOT of questions.  I ask the same question until I get an answer I like too.  I have learned through dealing with JT and all of his doctors that I am his mom and I have a right to know.  I ask questions so I can understand what is going on with my child, what is the plan going forward, what is to be expected.... Since this isn't our first stay in the NICU I am more prepared to ask questions.  Knowing the course I know when to ask what questions.  Today I saw the very first doctor we met at Fairfax (yes, he works at both hospitals). It was good to see him.  He is kind and friendly and talks to me like a person and not above my level of knowledge.  He is patient and willing to sit, listen and answer my questions.  Today he came in because I have been asking daily about Dylan's echocardiogram (to check on his PDA).  I thought it was strange that it was scheduled for a Sunday so I thought it would be done today.  If I hadn't been asking daily and spoken to the doctor yesterday and today it could have been missed.  He assured me the test would be done before Thanksgiving.  Then I asked him what Dylan needed to do in order to be moved to an open bed.  He has been doing very well lately and I keep antisapating it but he remains in the isolete.  The doctor looked at the isolette then at the nurse and said "actually, he should be in an open bed."  So tonight Dylan will move to an open bed!  One step closer to coming home!!
Keep praying!  Looks like Logan has about a week or so to go.  He is eating almost every feed on his own (if he can't finish like today he gets the rest through his feeding tube).  It's very hard for them to maintain body temperature, eat and gain weight.  It's exhausting for them, literally exhausting.  Dylan has been doing better with bottle feeding.  Today he was amazing and ate almost his entire bottle without any trouble.  It was fantastic!! Please keep praying.  Pray for the PDA to be closed.  Pray for Dylan to maintain his body temp and eat tonight.  Pray for both boys to continue to grow stronger each day.  Tomorrow they have their eye exam.  Pray for good results.  So far their eyes are premature, no surprise there.
I encourage each of you to not be shy, ask questions. Don't be afraid of big words from Doctors.  Doctors want you to understand, they are just use to using medical jargin.  So be confident, ask.  If they are a good doctor they will take time to hear you and explain to you.

No comments: