Friday, November 8, 2013

my surgery

Yesterday morning Jake and I headed out to Fairfax hospital to see the boys and then head over for my surgery.  Both boys were doing well and looked great.  Dylan is going to be a little fatty like Ethan was.  After a quick visit we made our way over to the surgical center.  After we checked in there were few seats to be found.  Jake pointed out a seat and of course in all my jest (wearing my skins gear of course) I said "you sure you want to sit across from a cowboys fan?!?"  The man smiled and that began the easiest wait for surgery ever.  The man had actually played for the cowboys and we of course got talking sports and through that we discovered that we shared a faith in Jesus Christ.  He was a wise man full of support and wisdom for Jake.  We never did catch his name but it was a joy to spend time waiting with him.  Once my name was called we said goodbye and wished him the best.  Off I went to surgery.  Now if you want waiting details on that you will have to ask Jake, I was asleep :-)
When I woke up in recovery I was on oxygen.  Funny thing having NICU babies, I was on the same monitors they were on and my stats would drop just like theirs do.  So, now I know what they feel like when their O2 levels drop.  You are still breathing just not as deeply, not a full breath.  I knew I was fine but a few times Jake would give me a little shake and tell me to breath deep.  I did and my stats would come back up.  I ended up on O2 over night because by the time I got to my room I was struggling to breath.  The O2 helped a great deal.  I was able to breath with ease and not struggle so much.  Again, I am able to relate to all my little premies.  It's like God's insight into their world.  I am able to understand it all so much better now.
My struggles now are drinking without aspirating.  I have aspirated a lot these last two days and am unable to clear it out.  Please pray that my lungs clear out and I don't end up with pneumonia.   I did get one decent cough out this evening to which Jake and I both cheered for.  It's the little things in life sometimes.
I am also dealing with the pain.  I don't like pain meds but for now I will take them because it's the best way to heal my body.  My neck and throat are both swollen and moving my head is difficult.  All in all I am doing well.  The doctor said the tumor looked contained and from his eye it didn't look like the cancer had spread.  We will get biopsy results back next week.  So for now I am going to take time to rest and heal.  Your prayers mean the world to me and I am carried through these challenges by the grace of God.

No comments: