Monday, October 28, 2013

Best visit yet

Last night Jake and I were able to get to the NICU to see the boys.  I was excited to hold Dylan, to pray over him and just love him the only way I can right now.  I also wanted the results of the tests!
Dylan laid on my chest for over an hour before he was ready to go back to bed.  Normally he lasts about 30-40 minutes.  An hour is huge for him and so special for me.  This time they actually had to come and turn all of his machines down b/c he was so comfortable the machines were helping too much.  It was a gift to me that he wasn't struggling to be with me but was just enjoying his mommy time.  Jake went and got to hold Logan on his chest and Logan loved his daddy time too.  Logan continues to do well with minor set backs.  Yesterday they stopped his feeds for about 3 hours because he was spitting up a lot!  Logan is on iron and often their tiny tummy's don't react well to it. Thankfully his stomach settled down and he was back on food before we left.
Now for Dylan.  The test results didn't show anything.  There is still no "reason" for his blood work coming back the way it is.  He will have more tests done today as well.  The treatments they are doing are working.  His blood pressure was good last night and his levels are better.  These are great things except it could just be masking a problem.  Thankfully the doctors know about it now so they can watch everything they do more carefully.  The nurse told me last night that they think he could have had a reaction to the formula.  When you have NICU babies they need extra calories.  So they take formula (usually enfamil) and add it to my milk.  That way they get a boost of calories without a boost of food.  Their tiny stomachs can't handle the amount of food they would need to eat in order to get the amount of calories.  So yesterday he was just on my milk, no formula.  Once things look good again they will try to use similac.  If he reacts poorly to that they will try other things.  I personally don't like it when my kids are on formula and I know I have hardy milk... all my kids, even JT were fat while nursing.  So for now, my prayer is the formula was the problem.  It's an easy fix - no formula!  Please continue to pray that his PDA is not the problem.  Continue to ask for his healing and continue to ask for wisdom for the doctors as well as clear test results.  I loved every minute of our visit last night (I am paying for it today.  Midnight is much too late for this momma to go to bed) I thank God for the rejuvenation our visit gave me last night.  The power and strength to go on this long journey God has placed before me.... again.  Maybe I did it wrong last time?!?  (kidding)
Thank you all for all of the prayers.  There aren't many feelings worse than feeling like a helpless mom but that is where I am.  I can't do anything for my boys except ask for prayer for them and try to hold them when I visit.  This is out of my hands.  So thank you for being there, for praying and loving us.  We know that we are being prayed for across the world!  Really and truly, there are people across the entire world praying for us and for our family.  It is the most incredible and humbling feeling.  May the Lords hand work in the lives of others because of the suffering we go through.
Many many blessings to you all!!

No comments: