Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Oh what a night!

Last night Jake and I went to the NICU.  I was really looking forward to holding Logan again.  It took some time to get him ready so I went to visit with Dylan while I waited.  Dylan was a maniac!  He was on his tummy which is where they are usually very happy.  Nope, this kid was picking his head up and smashing his face into the bed.  He managed to pull out his feeding tube and knock off his CPAP mask! Because the boys nurse was with Logan another nurse had to put down another baby to come help us.  I tried, but man, I am no nurse!  It was time to hold Logan and the other nurse was working with Dylan so off I went across the NICU.  She put Logan in my arms.... he was not having it!  He turned purple, his stats dropped, he had a brady.  He was SO not interested in being held by me.  He was very quickly put back into his isolete.  I of course was sad but one thing you learn quickly is that you do what is best for them and not what is best for your heart.  As a mom all you want to do is hold and love your babies.  The problem is their bodies aren't ready for it.  If you think about it they are suppose to be in my tummy in a bubble still.  No one touching them, no one moving them, bathing them, pricking their feet for blood labs.  They should still be floating around.
I know most of you know Jake and I well and I know most of you haven't had NICU babies.  Jake and I tend to make the most of our experience.  We find the joy and the jokes in almost any situation.  Last night I told the twins that if they were going to be such stinkers when we come visit I will see them when they get discharged and then they are stuck with me!
Other than the two of the acting up last night they are both doing very well.  They are both right around 2 and a half pounds.  They are both doing very well on CPAP and they are working hard to reduce their need for extra oxygen.  Right now our prayers are for Dylan's lungs to clear up.  Really, our prayer is that they keep going on the path they are on.  They are strong (clearly strong willed) and they are working hard.
We have asked the hospital to discuss when we might be able to move them back to our hospital.  I think I have said before, right now we drive 45 min each way and when they move it will be closer to 7 min.  Yep!  We are all looking forward to that!
I think that's it for now.  All in all everyone is doing well and hanging in there.  We are so thankful and blessed!

No comments: