Sunday, October 6, 2013

getting it all together

I realized that between facebook updates and posting here I feel like I have missed some information.  So I am going to try to make this as much of an update as I can.

Logan:
Logan's skin is looking much much better.  He still has some burn type marks from some of the leads but overall his skin just looks better.  Logan is on high doses of caffeine.  This is to help him remember to breath and regulate his heart beat.  (I have no guilt having a cup of coffee, I mean, he needs the caffeine :-)  There has been no word on an infection as we thought he might have one early on.  I am guessing no news is good news and since all of his other test results have come back with great results I think they aren't too worried.  His brain looks good, his heart looks good, his levels are all okay.  If he would just remember to breath a little more on his own he would be doing awesome!  Great news on that. (the breathing and maintaining heart beat) Last night his nurse was changing things out (they do it every evening and morning) His SIPAP hose and mask fell out of the isolate and hit the floor. That isn't the good news, the good news is that it was off for over 1 minute while she cleaned it and changed out the mask and he was able to maintain steady breathing and a stable heart beat.  These are the first steps doctors want to see before they lowers his support systems.  Maybe in the next week or so he will be back on CPAP.

Dylan:
Dylan is having difficulty keeping steady blood sugar levels.  They test his blood more frequently to make sure everything is oaky.  With the amount of times they take his blood he was in need of another blood transfusion.  He had that yesterday and is back under the bilirubin lights.  Dylan is processing food well and is over birth weight.  He remains on CPAP and his O2 levels are a little higher than we would like to see.  He started off in the 20's which is awesome and has slowly been needing more O2.  He is pretty good at breathing and maintaining a steady heart beat.  If things head south (or he has a spell as they call it) he is rather good at pulling himself out and getting back on track.
Both boys are wiggle worms, hate to be messed with, cry for diaper changes... all good normal signs.  Tomorrow night Jake and I will head to the NICU and I will get to hold at least one of them if not both of them for the first time ever!  When JT was born they let me hold him for a minute or two before he was whisked away.  I have yet to hold my babies.  I am sure you can imagine how excited I am!  Today and tomorrow can't end fast enough!
Truth be told the twins are doing remarkably well.  They are going to take strides forward and slide back but overall Jake and I are pleased and thankful they are doing so well.

If you would, our biggest prayer right now is the health of our household.  Ethan has come down with a few minor illnesses, JT and Caleb have both had a stomach virus.  We need our house to be healthy.  If the boys end up getting the flu we have to stay out of the NICU for about 2 weeks!  We will all be getting our flu shots this week to help with that.  Please pray for Jake and I.  The only time we ever get really really sick is when we get the flu shot.  We don't normally get it but if we want to be around the boys without masks and gowns at all times a flu shot is mandatory.  We aren't looking forward to it and are hoping and praying it will in fact keep us healthy through the flu season.  We need supernatural health over here, for everyone!
Please keep all 5 boys in your prayers as they are all making strides and adjustments.  Ethan has school testing in a few weeks which we hope he does well on and is able to focus.  He is SO smart!! JT is doing well and I think we will see the most change in him with the boys do come home.  Caleb is having some serious attachment issues.  I can't leave the room without him screaming for me.
I said it with JT and I will say it again; there is nothing normal or right about having to choose between your children.  Having to leave children to go somewhere else to visit and see and hold other children.  It's terrible and I look forward to the day both boys come home from the hospital.
Lastly, pray for Jake and I.  We have the choice to move the boys to a closer hospital when they are a bit older.  Pray we move them when the time is right.  That God would guide our decisions and make it an easy and clear decision.

No comments: